Sunday, August 23, 2009

Church Boats

Ok I know this is not what I promised you, but I have to clear up a mistake I made in the last post.

What was my mistake? Well I stated that the church boats were owned by the church, this in fact was not true, although I have now corrected it in the original post, I wanted to make a full correction for readers who have already read that post.
Also because I have become quiet interested in this subject.

The church boats were owned and built by the local villagers, and used mainly to go to and from the church. In those days most of the churches were located on islands.
Members of the village would own an oar or pair of oars, although the members were all equal partners there would have been a chairman in charge of the boat, and he got to be in charge of steering or "the Cox" calling out the tempo of the rowing, while other non rowing members would sway in time to encourage the rowers.
The largest of these boats could carry up to 40 rowers.

A pair of Church Boats in the boat house waiting for the next outing.

The Church Boats name and year it was made. This one is Ahti and was made in 1896

Church boats were normally named after a person, the "company" that was set up to build and maintain the boat, or after local fauna.

Ahti is an old male Finnish name, but also has its roots in mythology, being the Finnish god of the sea and fishing.

Although a lot of the church boats are around 100 years old they are still used today for rowing competitions.

More information about Finnish church boats can be found here. (link is in English, Finnish, Swedish, and German)

More information about Ahti can be found here.

Normal service will now be returned to.

No comments:

Post a Comment